World War 2 Project

The World War 2 project involved constructing a website using Drupal for a Museum from their World War 1 centenary project which was funded by the National lottery Heritage Fund.
The application was constructed having had no previous experience of web development or CMSs as a side project during my MSc Applied Computing & Information Technology.
Whilst I conducted fortnightly meetings with the client throughout the project, documentation based on the project was made using Prince2 for a Project Management unit group assignment where I assumed the role of project manager given my involvement with the real project.

Due to copyright reasons screenshots cannot be displayed here.

Project Dates: 

Sunday, January 31, 2016 to Friday, April 15, 2016

Objectives and Background: 

  • To provide a digital exhibition of artefacts stored in the Museum.
  • To provide information about local air raids by digitising the hard copy book artefact.
  • To enable Museum staff and volunteers to add and edit new artefacts.

What I achieved and Skills Gained: 

During the project I learnt the following skills:

  • Installed a development LAMP stack.
  • Conducted updates in Drupal (learnt to install security updates only, using drush).
  • Installing Drupal modules using Drush such as to find a compatible slideshow module with panels.
  • Adjusting the layout of the homepage using panels to match the client's requirements.
  • Learnt how to use the views module configurations to provide an
    independent search page for images and high resolution images of local
    historical artefacts for the Museum.
  • Used the CSS injector module to adjust the custom theme created by the developer.

Future Directions: 

Having had no experience of coding before the start of the project I then completed units in Java basics of Object Oriented Programming and Data modelling for relational databases.
This then ensured for my subsequent Thesis project I could clearly understand how Drupal nodes correlate to tables in the MySQL produced by the module code.